Saturday, March 7, 2009

MARISOL BECERRA

Can somebody please get me a tissue? If I get through this without one it will be a miracle. It's not that I'm sad, I'm just really proud of this gal! So let me tell you how I came to know this elect young lady. It all started last fall when she started sending me comments about my Mexican cooking. She was always so sweet and complimentary with her comments. Here is one of them.

"Gracias Ms. Married to a Mexican!
I am a college student who has faced the reality that cafeteria food is not the best and a home cooked meal is much better! My roommates and I loved the rice! It's almost as good as my mom's!"

Well, sweet comments like this led me to her youtube page to learn more about her. What I found there really impressed me. This is a young Latino woman that is reaching out to her community in a BIG way! Marisol is from a suburb of Chicago called Little Village. Here is her story. (Note the article below was written by New leader initiative.)


Marisol Becerra 18 Chicago, IL
http://www.elcilantro.org/?page_id=6
In 2003, Marisol volunteered with Little Village Environmental Justice Organization (LVEJO) to map and inventory the toxins found within 150 blocks of her predominantly Mexican-American community, Little Village in Chicago. Marisol was enraged to discover that in Little Village more than 60,000 youth in a two-mile radius of the Fisk and Crawford Coal Power Plants are forced to breathe air that violates EPA standards. She was inspired to act, she said, "in order to shut down these coal power plants, build more parks, and clean up the toxics. We must organize more people to stand up and fight." Her first step was launching the youth branch of LVEJO — Youth Activists Organizing as Today's Leaders, YAOTL. Based on the data Marisol collected, YAOTL collaborated with Chicago-based Open Youth Networks to devise OurMap of Environmental Justice, an interactive online map that includes 12 youth-created videos, descriptions of toxic sites, and gang territory delineations. With this map, Marisol educated her community about local environmental injustice and motivated them to become involved in campaigns. The map uses poignant facts and videos to educate about the different pollutants and contaminants in Little Village that cause 41 premature deaths and 550 emergency room visits annually.




Marisol you are amazing! I can only hope my children will grow up to be great contributors to society like you are.

So guys, I'm just so darn proud of this young Latino. She saw something she thought was wrong and she's doing something about it. I'm reminded of a book called "The Dog Poop Initiative". In this book the author shares a true story about something that happened at one of his kids soccer games. The story goes something like this. A Dad and his son arrive at the soccer field for his sons game. Immediately they are warned not to step in the dog poop on the field by several different people, none of which could be bothered to do anything about the poop themselves. To make a long story short the dad picks up the poop, and as he is throwing it in the trash he hears one of the parents on the field say " Yeah somebody needed to do that". Sometimes it may seem like we live in a society of many complainers and few doers as this story illustrates. I'm so impressed with Marisol's desire to be a doer and not a complainer. We can all learn so much from her example.
You may be thinking to yourself..... Well that's really nice what she doing but I'm just one person what can I really do? I would have to say to you... You can do a lot if you put your mind to it. Marisol is proof of that.
Great job Marisol! You are a Latino to be proud of.
Three cheers for Marisol!

Currently Marisol is attending DePaul University working towards a degree in Public Policy. She will then continue on until she receive her PhD in Environmental Policy

Here is a link to the google maps she has made.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&source=embed&msa=0&msid=103647195530581788559.00044b66339217a3e2538&ll=41.83913,-87.718105&spn=0.036961,0.090981&z=14